Sunday, February 28, 2010

Time for a new chore system


After surviving the holidays and the back to routine blahs, our old chore system fell apart with the nasty virus we have been passing around the last few weeks. Since everyone was getting bored with it, I wasn't too sad to see it go. Unfortunately, I didn't have any plans for a new system, so things are starting to get out of hand around here.

I wanted to use a system that was easy for both the kids ane me, didn't cost anything to set up, offered instant feedback for the kids and daily inexpensive incentives. Sounds simple, right?

I finally decided to use individual cards for each chore for K, M, and A. (D is still just happy to help with anything I ask and E will not participate in anything that I use for the younger kids. I'm still looking for something to motivate E.) I have cards for jobs before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus some bonus cards. For example:
Before breakfast
  • get dressed
  • put away pajamas
  • put away bed cup, book and warmer
  • make bed
  • brush hair
  • clean bedroom
Each child has an envelope for jobs that need to be done and completed jobs. As they complete each job, the card will be moved to the completed envelope. I have all of the jobs for the day sorted by child and time to make it easy to refill for each new time period. I can award bonus cards to behavior or extra jobs. At the end of the day, they can trade their completed cards for a treat.
Treat ideas
  • mini marshmallows
  • pennies
  • time at the park the next day
  • computer time
Hopefully by varying the rewards, the kids won't get bored with this system so quickly. 

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails