Friday, March 5, 2010

Gluten-free flour mix 2

One of the keys to making gluten-free cooking a pleasure is having a great flour blend on hand and ready to go that you can substitute for wheat flour in many recipes. After trying several different blends, this is what we keep coming back to for everything except breads. I wish I could remember where I found this recipe to give proper credit. If anyone knows where it originated, please let me know.

The original recipe called for super fine rice flour. I'm sure that would be wonderful, but my budget finds the flour I grind in my Vitamix much more pleasing. I normally use brown rice flour, but for special occasion baked goods I use white rice flour. Be sure that you use potato STARCH not potato FLOUR. They are very different. However, tapioca STARCH and FLOUR are the exact same thing. I find the best place to buy sweet rice, tapioca starch, potato starch, and rice is at the Asian market.

I just found this great post on gluten-free flours on Good (& Cheap) Eats. I really liked the chart comparing the nutritional value of the different flours. 

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups rice flour (brown or white)
  • 1/4 cup potato starch
  • 2/3 cup tapioca flour
  • 3/4 cup sweet rice flour
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons xanthan gum 

Directions

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Sift. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails