Friday, March 19, 2010

Room rescue continues

After getting the school room looking pretty good, the rest of the converted garage looked horrible. I started today by organizing the toy shelves. What a job! I remember now why I only sort toys when the kids are NOT home. It took a lot of work, but we finally finished just in time to go to my parents for lunch with my grandparents. It was a wonderful break from working on the house.

Unfortunately, we couldn't eat forever, so I had to start cleaning again. I discovered that I don't even notice the tops of bookshelves anymore. There were entire dust zoos living on the tops of the shelves. NOTE TO SELF: Add cleaning high surfaces to rotation. I had some supplemental curriculum on the top of the toy shelves that needed to be moved into the library/music room. (That sounds much more grand than it is. We took 1/4 of a converted 2-car garage and lined the room with bookshelves and guitar hangers.) When I walked in the library, I was reminded that E was the last one to clean it, and he does not have the same standard of clean that I do. 

Time to start the overhaul on the library. We re-shelved books,   picked up puzzle pieces, found hidden junk boxes from the last several cleaning times, swept up large quantities of dust and dog hair, etc. Now I have a large laundry basket full of books to add to Library Thing and label. ( I love Library Thing. All of our books are entered in the system and labeled using the Dewey Decimal system. It is such a time-saver when I am looking for a specific book.) Since I wanted to move that box into the office, I had to start the whole cleaning process in the office. 


I wish I could say that I had added a lot to the office while I was cleaning the other rooms, but I can't. There were a few things that belonged in the office, but not many. I am not sure exactly when it got this awful. No wonder I wasn't getting much accomplished. Because of D's birthday party here tomorrow, I cleaned surfaceshome only. I did not sort through my desk drawers, even though they really need it.


A definite improvement! I still have to sort the drawers and probably cover the shelves. After seeing how much better the schoolroom looks with covers, I want to add them to all open shelving in my house. A big bonus: I found several hundred dollars that had been missing for more than six months. YEAH! I had given up hope that we would ever find it.

I am completely worn out, but very happy with all the progress we have made this week. I'm looking forward to having more time to sew next week.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails