D's pattern blocks were finished just in time for his birthday. (One of my dear friends was sewing the bag for me as the party was starting!) I am so excited about how they turned out. I combined the floor puzzle from Mer Mag with a Montessori-style button snake I saw on Gingham Cherry. D hasn't spent much time playing with them yet, but the other kids have enjoyed them. I need to find a time to sit with D and show him how they work without any "help" from his siblings.
The blocks were very easy to make. I cut triangles from scraps of brightly colored fabric and old jeans. I marked the size button hole I needed on the triangles before I sewed them together, so I could leave that space open. After sewing the colored blocks to the denim backs, I turned through the button hole and then top stitched everything. The ribbon with the button is sewn to the bottom of a drawstring bag.
The only thing I might do differently is to use a different backing fabric. The denim adds the body that I wanted, but I wasn't able to get nice sharp points on the corners. It might be best to use interfacing cut to the finished triangle size, so it isn't in the seams at all.