Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pattern blocks buttoning activity

D's pattern blocks were finished just in time for his birthday. (One of my dear friends was sewing the bag for me as the party was starting!) I am so excited about how they turned out. I combined the floor puzzle from Mer Mag with a Montessori-style button snake I saw on Gingham Cherry. D hasn't spent much time playing with them yet, but the other kids have enjoyed them. I need to find a time to sit with D and show him how they work without any "help" from his siblings.
The blocks were very easy to make. I cut triangles from scraps of brightly colored fabric and old jeans. I marked the size button hole I needed on the triangles before I sewed them together, so I could leave that space open. After sewing the colored blocks to the denim backs, I turned through the button hole and then top stitched everything. The ribbon with the button is sewn to the bottom of a drawstring bag. 

The only thing I might do differently is to use a different backing fabric.  The denim adds the body that I wanted, but I wasn't able to get nice sharp points on the corners. It might be best to use interfacing cut to the finished triangle size, so it isn't in the seams at all.

No comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails