Thursday, March 4, 2010

Taco soup

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe for taco soup years ago. It is a favorite at our house. The original recipe calls for a package of ranch dressing mix, but since we are casein-free, I leave that out and we add some sour cream substitute at the table. I always use ground turkey in place of ground beef. I really prefer the flavor and the cost.

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs ground beef or turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 oz can green chilis
  • 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
  • 3 cans stewed tomatoes
  • 2 cans hominy
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 1/2 cups water


Directions

  1. Brown the meat and drain. 
  2. Put it all together; it needs a little simmering time for flavors to blend (about an hour). I normally cook it all day in a crockpot on low heat.
  3. Top with sour cream substitute and grated soy or goat cheese.
  4. Serve with tortillas or tortilla chips. 

    No comments:

     
    Related Posts with Thumbnails